Talking to a person about their COVID-19 diagnosis and what that might mean for them
- Read through their notes, check if they have an advance care plan or advance directive, identify something that will help you quickly build rapport/whakawhanaungatanga.
- Determine the impact this might have on their current and future health.
- Consider what future treatments may be offered.
- Arrange, where possible, to have whānau nearby or on the phonecall.
- Connect with the person.
- Use the Patient COVID-19 Serious Illness Conversation Guide to share the prognosis and support the conversation.
- Make the recommendation and agree goals of care plan.
- Providing more information about advance care planning.
- Use the shared goals of care form to capture the keys points of the conversation and any agreed goals of care.
- Encourage documentation of any other relevant advance care planning information.
- Share the plan with the person and whānau.
- Ensure the documentation is readily available to others.