In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have brought forward our focus on resident deterioration as part of the quality improvement programme being delivered in partnership with the aged residential care sector. This work aligns with our infection prevention and control and advance care planning programmes.
We have developed guidance documents to provide practical assistance to aged residential care facilities. These resources should be read alongside other advice and guidance being provided by the Ministry of Health.
As we wanted to make these resources available as quickly as possible, the documents will contain a version number. This means we can update them if conditions change and circulate updates through our website.
We have developed Guidance for the prevention and control of COVID-19 outbreaks in aged residential care in New Zealand to provide practical tools and assistance for aged residential care providers. The document contains useful links and templates drawn from other published materials, sector contributions, international and national guidance from the Ministry of Health. We have also drawn from a range of decision-support tools contained in the recently released Frailty care guides | Ngā aratohu maimoa hauwarea.
If you have any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Useful resources and links
- Ministry of Health COVID-19 information: www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
- Ministry of Health COVID-19 information for disability and aged care providers: www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-novel-coronavirus-information-specific-audiences/covid-19-novel-coronavirus-resources-health-professionals
- General guidance for the public: https://covid19.govt.nz/.
- PHARMAC are publishing updates on supply and other medicine issues on their website: www.pharmac.govt.nz/information-for/covid-19-pharmacs-response/.
- The New Zealand National Civil Defence Emergency Management Plan can be found here: www.civildefence.govt.nz/cdem-sector/plans-and-strategies/guide-to-the-national-civil-defence-emergency-management-plan/.
- Subscribe to updates from the National Health Coordination Centre: www.health.govt.nz/our-work/emergency-management/subscribe-national-health-coordination-centre-updates/.
- Contact your local district health board for advice about local support and procedures being put in place to support continuity of care for those receiving residential aged care services.
- For specific questions about a resident or staff member’s health related to COVID-19 call Healthline on 0800 358 5453. It operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.