The Health Quality & Safety Commission, along with Ipsos, undertook a refresh of the adult inpatient and primary care surveys in late 2019 and early 2020. The purpose of this refresh was to ensure the information collected was relevant to patient experience.
The refresh involved full cognitive testing to understand how patients understand and interpret the questions and instructions. The aim was to find out from patients if:
- the survey instructions are easy to understand
- the questions are easy to understand
- the questions are relevant
- the survey enables them to talk about what they think is important
- any important questions are missing.
A report on the surveys’ redevelopment will be available later in the year.