Māori advisory group
The mental health and addiction (MHA) quality improvement programme's Māori advisory group:
- advocates Māori bodies of knowledge and experience
- incorporates tikanga Māori, pūrākau, karakia and waiata into the MHA quality improvement programme
- supports Māori and wider sector engagement
- raises awareness of MHA issues for Māori
- advises the development of effective interventions for Māori
- ensures the programme is responsive to tangata whaiora and whānau experience
- improves health equity, and reduces harm, mortality and unwarranted variation across MHA services.
Wi Keelan (chair)
Wi Keelan is the MHA quality improvement programme’s kaumātua and Māori advisor. Mr Keelan is affiliated with Ngāti Porou and Ngāti Kahungunu and has experience as a Māori health leader, health service manager, health policy advisor and health service quality surveyor of Māori and wider mental health services. He also chairs the programme’s Māori advisory group, which is made up of tangata whaiora and MHA practitioners.
Wi brings a strong equity focus to the programme. He advocates for strategies that support kaupapa Māori approaches and address the impacts of colonisation, institutional racism and unconscious bias on Māori.
- Kerri Butler (Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Porou) ihomatua kaiwhakahaere, Te Rau Ora
- Johnnie Potiki (Kai Tahu, Kāti Māmoe), consumer advisor for Southern District Health Board (DHB) in Otago mental health addictions and intellectual disability directorate
- Jason Haitana (Te Āti Haunui a Papārangi/Ngāti Tūwharetoa), consumer advisor, Northland DHB
- Dean Rangihuna (Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Hei) te kaihāpai/Māori consumer advisor, Canterbury DHB specialist mental health service
- Hori Ahomiro (Tapuika, Ngāti Awa, Ngāi Tūhoe), mental health and addiction service family/whānau advisor, cultural lead, Bay of Plenty DHB
- Joanne Henare (Ngāti Wehi Wehi, Ngāti Tukorehe, Ngāti Raukawa, Ngāti Mutunga ō Whare Kauri, Ngati Urban Māori ō Tamaki Makaurau ō Mangere), MidCentral DHB
- Simon Phillips (Ngāti Ruanui, Te Atiawa, Ngā Rauru, Ngā Puhi, Ngāti Whatua), chief executive officer, Maraeroa Marae Health Clinic
- Maraea Craft (Ngāti Porou), quality improvement lead, Tairāwhiti District Health
- Phyllis Tangitu (Ngāti Pikiao, Ngāti Ranginui, Ngāti Awa, Ngati Haua), general manager, Lakes DHB
- Robert Walker (Hawke's Bay DHB)