The Mortality Review supports the mortality review committees in their statutory roles. It provides governance and leadership to mortality review systems and advice regarding reviews.
The Terms of Reference template approved by the Minister of Health (2009) and the Commission Board (2011) defines the work of the Secretariat as follows:
“The Secretariat provides:
- policy analysis and analytical support
- guidance on governmental and ministerial processes
- budget management, contract management and service procurement support to assist the committee to achieve its work plan within its allocated budget
- central communications systems support for correspondence and public relations purposes, including secure communication between committee members and agents
- liaison on behalf of the committee within and across government and non-government organisations
- administrative support to organise, minute and follow up on committee meetings and/ or working groups as agreed at chairs’ meetings
- additional support for the committee to carry out its functions, as agreed at chairs’ meetings.”
The Secretariat also manages and supports the ongoing operational systems of information collection and review for each of the committees.