We know that some people reading this section may find the content disturbing or it may raise some personal issues for you.
If you need immediate help, please call:
- Need to Talk? 1737 call or text (mental health, depression, and anxiety counselling)
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354
- Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 | 0508 TAUTOKO; 12 noon to 12 midnight (those in distress, or those who are concerned about the wellbeing of someone else).
Other services available that offer support, information and help
- Le Va: www.leva.co.nz
- LifeKeepers: www.lifekeepers.nz
- Waka Hourua: www.wakahourua.co.nz
- Aunty Dee: www.auntydee.co.nz free online tool for anyone who needs some help working through a problem or problems; a systematic approach to decision making that is based on structured problem solving
- Depression Helpline: www.depression.org.nz | 0800 111 757, text 4202, 8am–12 midnight
- Suicide Prevention Information New Zealand | www.spinz.org.nz
- What's Up: www.depression.org.nz | [5-18 years] | 0800 942 8787 | 1.00–11.00pm
- The Low Down: www.thelowdown.co.nz | firstname.lastname@example.org | text 5626 | 12noon–12 midnight
- OUTLine NZ: 0800 688 5463 for support related to sexual orientation or gender identity
- Mental Health Foundation: www.mentalhealth.org.nz | list of resources (including videos) | download the bereavement handbook with updated support information
- Kidsline: [up to 14 years] 0800 543 754 (0800 kidsline) | 4.00 - 6.00 pm weekdays
- Youthline: 0800 376 633 | free text 234 | email@example.com
- Samaritans: 0800 726 666
- Healthline: 0800 611 116
- Supporting Families (can provide support for whanau, bereaved by suicide)
- Skylight (Also gives contacts for people who hold local suicide bereavement support groups)
You can also talk to your GP, local health professional, whānau, or someone you trust.