The social constructs of addiction
- Event start: 4 Jun 2015 7:00pm
- Event end: 4 Jun 2015 9:00pm
- Location: Jubliee Building, 545 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland
Changing Minds invites you to a free public panel discussion “Virtues or vices... the social constructs of addiction”.
4 June 2015, 7pm – 9pm
Jubilee Hall – 545 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland
(Discussion will begin 7pm sharp); nibbles available prior and post discussion.
- Professor Peter Adams - Associate Director of the Centre for Addiction Research & Deputy Head of the School of Population Health, University of Auckland.
- Dr Susanna Galea - CADS Clinical Director / Consultant Psychiatrist / Honorary Senior Lecturer & Associate Director Centre for Addictions Research, University of Auckland.
- Brody Runga - Consumer Advisor at Odyssey House
- Annah Pickerring - Regional Coordinator of the NZ Prostitutes Collective
- Alexander Stevens - Counsellor, Dual Diagnosis Clinician and Maori Researcher.
Some of the issues and concepts the panel discussion will focus on are:
- how society contributes to the development of addictions
- who and what defines an addiction
- effective approaches to addressing addictions: community led vs. ‘top down’
- legal implications of addiction
- can there be a “positive addiction”.
Walk-ins are welcome but for catering purposes please RSVP to: email@example.com or 09 623 1762.
For more info please visit our event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1413572078964409/ or the Changing Minds website www.changingminds.org.nz.
Changing Minds is the Auckland Regional Consumer Network for mental health and addictions. They support self-determination, and strive to work innovatively to encourage positive social change, following the mission statement “Leading brave conversations to redefine mental health and addictions in Aotearoa”.