The initial three-year phase of the Whakakotahi programme will pause with completion of the 2019 projects.
Plans for the next stage of the programme will be informed by a number of key documents including:
- Towards quality improvement at scale in the New Zealand primary care setting
- New Zealand Health and Disability System Review
- A window on the quality of Aotearoa New Zealand’s health care 2019 – a view on Māori health equity.
These all point to a need for stronger alignment across our health quality intelligence and improvement activities.
For information about the current Whakakotahi quality improvement projects, please see What is Whakakotahi? and the pages for the 2017 to 2019 projects.
The Commission is planning its next phase of work for the Whakakotahi programme. This will have an ongoing focus on equity, consumer engagement and integration, in addition to a stronger focus on supporting the sector with data and analytics capability, consumer engagement (co-design), training and education, and strengthening a QI and safety culture.
We recommend you register to receive the Commission’s e-digest or keep an eye on our primary care webpages to keep up to date with Commission news and events, and to receive updates regarding the next phase of the Whakakotahi quality improvement programme.
If you are interested in other quality improvement resources, you can visit the following links:
- the Safety in Practice website for quality improvement resources on topics such as medicines reconciliation, opioids, anticoagulants, NSAIDs, protecting kidneys and results handling.
- the Goodfellow Unit website which delivers continuing professional development for primary health care professionals, and includes Goodfellow practice Gems, articles, podcasts and so forth including a wide range of topics from gout to mental health issues.
- the Commission’s website for upcoming events including the Quality Improvement Scientific Symposium, held annually.
If you have stories to share of successful quality improvement projects, or have any general queries, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.