- Check your implicit bias – see the Learning and education modules on understanding bias in health care.
- Check your readiness to have the conversation.
- Read through the patient’s notes, check if they have an advance care plan or advance directive and identify something that will help you quickly build rapport/whakawhanaungatanga with them.
- Determine what future treatments may/may not be offered to them.
- Determine the capacity of the patient to participate in the conversation.
- Let the patient know that this is an important conversation about COVID-19 and the impact it will/might have on their health. Discuss what might be ahead and what things are most important to them.
- Arrange, where possible, to have whānau nearby or on the phonecall.