Talking to people at high risk of serious illness if they contract COVID-19 and what that might mean for them
- Identify people who are are at higher risk of serious illness if they contract COVID-19.
- Read through their notes, check if they have an advance care plan or advance directive that might be relevant, identify something that will help you quickly build rapport/whakawhanaungatanga.
- Determine what future treatments may be offered.
- Arrange, where possible, to have whānau involved.
- Connect with the person.
- Use the Aotearoa Serious Illness Conversation Guide to support the conversation.
- Agree a plan.
- Provide information about advance care planning.
- Use the shared goals of care form to capture the keys points of the conversation and any agreed goals of care.
- Encourage documentation of any other relevant advance care planning information.
- Share the plan with the person and whānau.
- Ensure the documentation is readily available to others.