There are many tools available to support advance care planning and shared goals of care.
They can support you to:
- identify people who would benefit
- prepare yourself to talk to people and their whānau (do your own advance care plan, explore your biases, ensure you have the skills and confidence, understand the legal framework for medical decision-making and read the person’s notes and talk to other members of the person’s health care team)
- prepare people and their whānau for the conversations
- talk to people and their whānau
- support the person and their whānau to capture the key information in their advance care plan
- document conversations and plans in the clinical record including documenting shared goals of care for people in hospital, aged residential or long-term care
- promote advance care planning in your community, your practice or clinical area and in your team or organisation.
Resource: Advance care planning training manual
Resource: Conversation starters
Resource: My advance care plan and guide
Link: Order ACP resources