There are a number of online and face-to-face training resources for clinicians to increase their knowledge about advance care planning, explore their biases, understand the legal framework for medical decision-making, improve their clinical communication skills and to effectively document conversations and plans.
The following modules are available to complete online:
- Learning and education modules on understanding bias in health care (three modules)
- Level 1 advance care planning (four modules)
- Serious Illness Conversation Guide (SICG) introduction
- Legal framework for medical decision-making
- Shared goals of care for hospital admissions
- One hour SICG training video and supporting webinars
- SICG and shared goals of care for ARC
District health board classroom training
Refer to the interactive map for your local district health board contact.
- L1A advance care planning workshop: a comprehensive one-day workshop covering the benefits of ACP, the legal framework with case studies, communication skills and practice, and documentation practice.
- SICG three-hour workshop: a role-play based workshop which helps clinicians build their confidence to use the guide in ACP and shared goals of care discussions.
Please contact the Health Quality & Safety Commission for more information on national training sessions. Email us at email@example.com.
- L1A train-the-trainer two-day course
- SICG train-the-trainer one-day course
Resource: Learning and education modules on understanding bias in health care (three modules)
Link: Level 1 advance care planning (four modules)
Page: SICG and SGOC for ARC