The Ministry of Health and the Health Quality & Safety Commission are introducing patient experience measures for primary care using online patient surveys. The survey is conducted nationally every three months. See the survey timetable for the date of the next survey sample week. Patients enrolled with and seen by participating practices in the survey sample week each quarter may receive a survey invitation via email or SMS. Children under 15 will not be surveyed.
Here is some information to help you implement the survey in your practice.
- About the survey
- What you need to do
- Survey timetable
- Using survey results for quality improvement
- Downloadable attachments (including patient flyers)
The survey enables patients to have a voice that health teams can hear through a direct and timely link. The survey provides your practice with access to real time reporting via your secure log in through any internet browser. This is funded by the Ministry of Health.
Participation in the survey is a recognised source of evidence towards meeting Indicator 9 of the Foundation Standard and Aiming for Excellence: The practice includes patients’ input into service planning (more detail below).
There are two distinct sets of instructions for participating primary health organisations (PHOs) and general practices. Be sure to select the correct document specific to your organisation.
- Patient experience survey: PHO guide to getting started
- Patient experience survey: General practice guide to getting started
[click table to download as XLSX file (12KB)]
From PES to PDSA: A guide to using the patient experience survey portal for quality improvement is our most recent publication which shows how to use the reporting portal for quality improvement. Written collaboratively with our quality improvement team here, this document breaks down Plan, Do, Study, Act cycles into well-defined steps so you can streamline quality improvement activities within your primary health organisation or general practice. This document was created with the intention to help you use the survey portal in order to meet indicator 9 of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioner’s Aiming for Excellence standard.
For a more in-depth look into how to use national patient data for quality improvement, this report from The Kings Fund includes examples of interventions undertaken in response to survey findings, barriers to using survey data effectively, and identifies three key enablers for using patient survey data (pages 38–44). These are:
ii) staff engagement
iii) trust-wide co-ordination.
Although the report focuses on inpatient surveys in NHS acute trusts in England, it is likely the successes, barriers and enablers are similar to those for primary care surveys and therefore of interest to general practice, primary health organisations and district health boards implementing the primary care patient experience survey.
- Patient experience survey guide for GPs and PHOs (3.6MB, PDF)
- Your guide to the patient experience survey reporting portal (922KB, PDF)
- About Cemplicity our national survey system provider
- Best practice instructions (476KB, PDF)
- Common questions and answers (340KB, PDF)
- Data safeguards (133KB, PDF)
- Flyer (version for print professionals) (60KB, PDF)
- Foundation standard/Cornerstone accreditation – how does the survey contribute towards this? (234KB, PDF)
- Let's PLAN for better care flyer
- Medtech instructions (202KB PDF)
- MyPractice instructions (52KB, PDF)
- Patient experience survey (downloadable version) (272KB, PDF)
- Patient experience survey (online version)
- Patient inclusion for PHOs (351KB, PDF)
- Privacy information (1.6MB, PDF)
- Reporting portal quick guide (899KB, PDF)
- Reviewing patient comments (293KB, PDF)
- Flyers for patients, promoting the survey:
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – English (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – English [for printers] (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – te reo Māori (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – te reo Māori (for printers) (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – Samoan (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – Samoan (for printers) (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – Tongan (3.4MB, PDF)
- Patient Experience Survey Flyer – Tongan (for printers) (3.4MB, PDF)
General practices taking part in the patient experience survey can now show a video in their clinic waiting room that talks about what the survey is and encourages patients to participate.
Click here to watch or download the videos.