Co-design Partners in Care
'Co-design Partners in Care’ is a 6–8 month programme brought to you by the Health Quality & Safety Commission with a focus on consumer engagement.
It is based on the National Health Service Institute’s experience-based design programme, and is facilitated by Lynne Maher.
Use the links below to take you to more information and resources.
- Co-design Partners in Care programme reviews and evaluations
- Web sessions
- 2017–18 project case studies
- 2016–17 project case studies
- 2015–16 project case studies
- 2014–15 project case studies
- Co-design resources – NHS
- Co-design research articles
- Other information and resources
- Co-design programme evaluation report 2015–16: The 2015–16 co-design programme was delivered in two DHBs over an eight-month period from October 2015 to May 2016.
- Co-design programme evaluation 2014–15
- Partners in Care programme final report 2013–14
- Partners in Care programme final report 2012–13
- Web session one (836 KB, pdf):
Project start-up, engage, check in (November 2016)
- Web session two (950 KB, pdf):
Baseline measurements, review engagement, capture (December 2016)
- Web session three (794 KB, pdf):
Reflection post-workshop, baseline measurements, continuation of capture, moving to understand (February 2017)
- Web session four (1.7 MB, pdf):
Workbook reflection, feedback on capture, moving to understand (March 2017)
- Web session five (3.3 MB, pdf):
Feedback from two teams, moving to understand (April 2017)
- Web session six (2.2 MB, pdf):
Feedback from two teams, check in on understand, co-design (May 2017)
- Web session seven (1.5 MB, pdf):
Feedback from two teams, workbook reflection, questions (May 2017)
- Case study: Engaging with adolescents who manage chronic health conditions - Bay of Plenty DHB (June 2018) 248 KB, pdf)
- Case study: The cancer journey discharge experience - Bay of Plenty DHB (June 2018) (301 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Rheumatic fever prophylaxis service - Bay of Plenty DHB (June 2018) (432 KB, pdf)
- Case study: A pharmacy service on discharge - Bay of Plenty DHB (June 2018) (440 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Discharge information for patients by patients - Bay of Plenty DHB (June 2018) (586 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Mental health and addiction services discharge experience - Bay of Plenty DHB (June 2018) (326 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Acute care team - Hutt Valley DHB (June 2017) (905 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Keeping you safe during surgery brochure - CCDHB (June 2017) (614 KB, pdf)
- Case study: The colonoscopy experience - Hutt Valley DHB (June 2017) (602 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Pacific ASH 0-4 years - Hutt Valley DHB (June 2017) (655 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Improving repeat script process - Taranaki DHB (June 2017) (401 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Location for children's blood tests - Taranaki DHB (June 2017) (871 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Pharmacy service in ED - Taranaki DHB (June 2017) (1 MB, pdf)
- Case study: Hutt hospital therapies outpatients - Hutt Valley DHB (June 2017) (290 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Safe, effective and efficient discharge (SEED) team (Central PHO) (782 KB, pdf)
- Case study: ED patient experience from the front door to seeing the first treating clinician (MidCentral DHB) (846 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Severe nausea and vomiting in pregnancy (SNVP) – ‘suffering in silence’ (MidCentral DHB) (563 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Spiritual care at end of life for refugee communities (MidCentral DHB) (227 KB, pdf)
- Case study: A review of the patient experience when accessing head and neck cancer services (Nelson Marlborough DHB) (844 KB, pdf)
- Case study: Radiology service improvement initiative (Nelson Marlborough DHB) (731 KB, pdf)
- Case study: ‘Through the eyes of children’ (Nelson Marlborough DHB) (750 KB, pdf)
- Design thinking for social innovation (March 2015)
- Presentation: Taupo Hospital signage project (Lakes DHB)
- Case study: A review of Taupo Hospital Signage (Lakes DHB)
- Case study: Improving falls resilience together (St John NZ)
- Case study: Improving the patient journey with better communication (Northland DHB)
- Case study: Outpatient hysteroscopy service makes the difference (Waikato DHB)
- Case study: Working with consumers to reduce falls (Capital & Coast DHB)
- Experience Based Design: Questionnaire.
- Experience Based Design: Guide & Tools.
- Experienced Based Design: Concepts and Case Studies.
- Creating a revolution in patient and customer experience - Implementation Guidance The Friends and Family Test.
- Feeling better? Improving patient experience in hospital.
- Untapped Resource.
- NICE Quality standard for patient experience in adult NHS services.
- Patient Engagement - Quality Improvement resource
- Design thinking for social innovation
- A systematic review of evidence on the links between patient experience and clinical safety and effectiveness.
- Developing radical service innovations in healthcare – the role of design methods.
- International Perspectives on Patient Engagement - Results From the 2011 Commonwealth Fund Survey.
- Which experiences of health care delivery matter to service users and why? A critical interpretive synthesis and conceptual map.
- Reshaping ICU Ward Round Practices Using Video-Reflexive Ethnography.
- Implementing patient-centred cancer care: using experience-based co-design to improve patient experience in breast and lung cancer services.
- Judgment Sampling: A Health Care Improvement Perspective. This article describes judgment sampling and its importance in quality improvement work and studies.
- Design-led service improvement for older people.
- Use of emotional touchpoints as a method of tapping into the experience of receiving compassionate care in a hospital setting.
- Improving healthcare through the use of co-design.
- Exploring the relationship between patients' experiences of care and the influence of staff motivation, affect and wellbeing.
- Facilitated patient experience feedback can improve nursing care: a pilot study for a phase III cluster randomised controlled trial.
- Poppets and parcels: the links between staff experience of work and acutely ill older peoples' experience of hospital care.
- Rethinking policy approaches to measuring and improving patient experience.
- The volume-to-value revolution: Rebuilding the DNA of health from the patient in.
- Patient- and family-centred care toolkit The patient- and family-centred care toolkit from The King's Fund is a simple, step-by-step method for recording and understanding patient and family experiences.
- Are you ready to take the patient based care challenge? A DLE brochure from the Clinical Excellence Commission.
- Patientstories.org.uk A new enterprise which uses documentary type films of patient stories to provoke discussion and debate about safety and quality issues amongst health care professionals.
- Health Service Co-Design A guide from Waitemata DHB providing a range of flexible tools for working effectively with patients in service improvement work.
- Canterbury DHB Consumer Council website and Terms of Reference.
- Involving service users in design: Four steps to co-production In this article Becky Malby from The Guardian explores how to make better use of patients' talents to improve services in health care.
- Why Hospitals Don't Deliver Great Service A paper from the GALLUP Business Journal - improving the patient experience is about changing the hospital's culture.