Inaugural Whakakotahi group learning event
The first Whakakotahi group learning event was held in Wellington on 23 May 2017.
Sandy Bhawan, Clinical Pharmacist from Hutt Union & Community Health Services in Pomare, describes their diabetes improvement project.
The meeting was an opportunity for team members from participating improvement teams to come together to share their work, network, and learn from each other.
The first three teams to be involved in Whakakotahi include:
- Hutt Union & Community Health Services/Te Awakairangi Health Network
- Papakura Marae Health Clinic/National Hauora Coalition
- Nelson Marlborough DHB, Mapua Health, Tima Health, Harley Medical, and other primary care providers.
The day involved storyboard presentations by each team about their identified improvement area (eg, aim statement, problem definition, driver diagram (theory of change), workshops - focused on equity considerations and co-design (consumer partnership) principles - and a practical session about analysing improvement data (creating run charts).
During the next phase the improvement teams will confirm their measures, collect data, and test their innovative ideas to address the problem they are working on.
- The event was captured by a graphic artist and the drawings are available to download here.
- To view the event programme and available presentations click here.
The second group learning event will be held in September/October 2017.
Dr Sue Crengle, Invercargill GP and Associate Professor, Otago University, explains equity principles to the Whakakotahi project teams.