The range of health providers who have to follow the Health Quality & Safety Commission’s National Adverse Event Reporting Policy is broadening from 28 February 2022, as a result of the new Ngā Paerewa Health and Disability Services Standard coming into effect.
The standard states: ‘Service Providers shall follow the National Adverse Event Reporting Policy for internal and external reporting (where required) to reduce preventable harm by supporting system learnings.’
This means that, from February, the following providers must follow the policy:
- aged residential care services
- assisted reproductive technological services
- home and community support services
- residential disability support services
- residential mental health and addiction services
- public and private overnight hospital inpatient services
- birthing unit services
- hospice services
- abortion services.
The role of the Commission is to support providers with adhering to the policy.