This site has not been optimised for Internet Explorer due to Microsoft no longer providing support for the browser. Please view this site using another browser such as Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

Sometimes things go wrong when health care is provided, or you may be unhappy with the service you have received from your doctor, nurse, hospital, general practitioner or other health care provider.

The Health Quality & Safety Commission does not have the authority to investigate health and disability services.

If you wish to talk to someone about your experience with health services, or make a complaint, it is a good idea to first talk to your service provider about your concerns.

If you do this and are not satisfied with the response, you may wish to contact the Health and Disability Commissioner.

The Commissioner’s office has advisors who can help you with your complaint. The Health and Disability Commissioner website is here:

To make a complaint about the Health Quality & Safety Commission you can write to our chief executive, Dr Janice Wilson at PO Box 25496, Wellington, or email us at

Last updated: 17th December, 2021